Monday, October 22, 2012

Sex and sugar

The number one question I’m asked by women regarding pregnancy is: What food do I crave?

And the answer is sugar!  Or at least it was before I found the cure for my sugar cravings.

Before pregnancy I’d honed my eating habits so that I craved mainly healthy foods. I did not deprive myself of the sugary good stuff but my only true cravings for it were when I was bored, PMSing, or pumpkin pie came within my sight line.

I was not happy about my new cravings because I did not want to become a big, fat heifer and form a new habit that would be near impossible to break once a baby came into the picture, so I consulted my doctor, midwife, and acupuncturist and they all said the same thing, my body needs energy and it needs it now!

My body isn’t stupid. It wants instant gratification and sugar gives me energy, fast!

The cure: protein.

I added protein into most meals and the sugar cravings disappeared (b/c the energy in protein will sustain me longer and I'll no longer need a quick energy boost). Woohoo! That doesn’t mean I never, ever crave sugar! So don’t crucify me if you see my scarfing down a triple fudge brownie sundae. I’m still a pregnant woman with hormones running through every pore of my body.


A peek behind the curtain
The number one question men ask me about pregnancy: how often do hubby and I have sex?

Yes, men are very curious to know about pregnant women and sex. I should mention the men that ask this question are not parents.  So let’s talk about sex.

Yes, we have sex. No, not as often as we did before pregnancy.

The first trimester was a bit dry because of the fertility medicine I was on (progesterone). That stuff is nasty. I won’t go into details but let’s just say no woman would want her man traveling below the border when on this stuff. But that doesn’t mean the well was dry. There were other ways to satisfy.

During the second trimester, most books say pregnant women become sex machines. They just can't get enough. I experienced an increase but nothing too crazy. My sex drive was pretty damn good before pregnancy so I'm not complaining. It basically stayed the same.

But I ain’t gonna lie. The growing belly gets in the way and doesn't exactly scream sexy. The whole feeling like a mother while trying to be a sex kitten can be a buzz kill. That's when a copy of The Joy of Pregnant Sex comes in handy (yes, this book does exist). 

I have no idea how my husband really feels about my changing body (except the boobs. He loves that the girls are blowing up!) but he’s a man, so I feel secure in saying that he’s just happy to get some.

The most interesting question I had put forth to me regarding sex was from one of my husband’s good friends, who asked, “I hear pregnant women are really horny and want to jump all their husband’s friends. Is that true?”

To which I answered, “Only the ones I wanted to jump before I was pregnant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment