Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Baby showers & booze


This weekend I had my baby shower, filled with lots of friends, lots of fun, and yes, lots of presents.
A friend of mine asked me if I served alcohol at the shower. I did. I served champagne and mimosas. I guess there are some girls who won’t serve booze because if they can’t have some, then no one can.
Wow. That shocks me. I mean, if it was against my religion or something, I can understand it. But to deny your guests just because you’re not drinking? That’s just not copacetic.
party favor 
Baby showers aren’t fun for everyone. I know. Not too long ago a baby shower meant heartbreak for me. And baby showers aren’t just hard on fertility-challenged women but some single gals, too.  It’s not all about me. No, not even my own baby shower. And I will not deny my guests just because I’m not drinking.
If you don’t have kids (and even if you do), it’s only fun for so long to listen to conversations about nipple pads, dirty diapers, and all things motherhood.
In fact, I was originally going to incorporate a drinking baby shower game (baby bottles filled with beer- whoever chugs the fastest wins!) but in the end I went with baby bingo. And a nursery rhyme game. And a game of old wives tales. And… oh, wow, those sound so lame as I write them down… maybe I should of done the drinking game!  
All in all, the shower was wonderful (thanks momma!!) and I was surrounded by my loving friends and family and that’s what matters. But I have not forgotten where I was only seven months ago. Struggling to conceive. 
I have not forgotten you ladies, those who are still trying. Those who feel heartbroken and lost and frustrated, not knowing if it will ever be you.
And I will always be there for you with a shoulder to lean on, an ear to listen, and a bottle of champagne to pop your misery into. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow time flies! You are almost there! Wish I could have been at your shower :( Best wishes for labor & delivery, will be thinking about you three.

    ReplyDelete