Thursday, June 21, 2012

Womb for two

The shots are done (woot woot!), which means time for egg retrieval!

On the day of the retrieval, I checked into the office, changed into a backless hospital gown (easy access!), slipper socks, and snuggled into the hospital bed. Then the anesthesiologist pumped me full of sleepy drugs and I was wheeled into the procedure room. The doc came in and mid-sentence I was out (the story they ask you to tell is how you met your husband/partner. Isn't that sweet? What a nice thing to be thinking about as they retrieve your eggs for baby. Of course, I only got to the part where the phone was left in the cab before I zonked out. When they put the embryos in three days later, the doc asked for the rest of the story).

When I woke up I was out of the procedure room, sans a half dozen eggs. The doctor suctioned those babies right outta me. It was painless. I felt a little bit of cramping afterwards but nothing worse than mild period pains.
Next, they whisked those plump eggs off and into the little lab and magic happened. My hubby’s spermies were united with my eggs and they became embryos. I would have liked to have played them some Marvin Gaye but alas, I was not allowed in the room.
"Babies 1st picture"
I am not delusion. I realize this picture is
only exciting for hubby, me, and grandma.  

Three days later I was back in a little room, the lights were dimmed, candles lit, and soft music played (no joke) as the doc placed two little embryos in me (they gave me the "babies" first picture at that time too). I watched on the ultrasound as they dropped them into my womb. Then the doctor left my husband, babies, and me alone for an hour as they made a cozy home for themselves.
It was serene and peaceful until the forty-five minute mark hit and I had to pee, bad. Very bad. You are asked to come in with a full bladder- because it will press down on your uterus, making it easier for the embryo transfer- but then you need to lay flat for an hour. I was desperate for a Depends and trying to tell myself that I could hold it for just fifteen more minutes. These babies need it! I held that pee in and when the nurse finally relieved me, I raced to the toilet and relieved myself.

And so I made my first sacrifice as a mother. Okay, I think I've made a LOT of sacrifices for baby but I don't care. Fingers crossed, it was effen worth it!

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you. Hope all goes well!
    P.S. I need to hear the phone story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all seriousness, your babies' first picture is pretty exciting on all levels! I'm sure many who are inspired by your blog and hopeful for your journey feel the same way. I love your writing style, and I wish you the amazing motherhood I believe you will have...Love, another Brooke from your past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke! Hi! It's so nice to hear from you. Thank you for your comment and your encouraging words. Good news soon I hope!

      Delete